Limiting beliefs that serve us no purpose include:
- I couldn’t get that deal
- I would never be considered for that job
- I would never be fast enough to run 5km
- I could never get fit enough to swim again
- I am too old to take up a new sport
- My muscles are too tight to squat low
- I always slouch when I sit
- I can never lose weight
- I just don’t have the body type to wear that dress
- I will always have credit card debt
- I am not smart enough to take up study
- I am not technical enough to operate the DVD player
- I am not attractive enough to put myself out there
- I’m doing alright now, but I couldn’t possibly do any better
Have you ever put limits on yourself like that? When was the last time you put a limit on yourself? At lunchtime? Yesterday?
How well has it served you?
When was the last time you tried to bust your limiting belief?
I have to admit I’m guilty of this all the time. But you will never know if these are your limits if you never try to break them. You will never know if you can do better if you never ask anyone to help you.
Are there aspects of your life that you wish you could improve upon, but simply don’t believe it is possible? This could be a self-imposed limiting belief.
My own motto is nothing is impossible. And I truly believe that. If you have an open mind, you really can achieve anything you desire.
For this to happen, you sometimes need to put in some effort. You need to try some things you haven’t tried before. You might even have to ask others for help. This is ok.
A limiting belief is simply a belief, it is not the truth.
If you question your beliefs, and try to work your way around them, you will find the truth. And the truth will set you free.
It really is liberating. If you have full belief in yourself, rather than limited belief, then you will understand that you are capable of anything and nothing is impossible.
I have belief in my clients and I have belief in you. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that you could study astrophysics whilst raising a family and training for an ironman triathlon if that is something you wanted to do. You just have to find out how, do things differently, and ask for help if you need it.
My hope for you today is that you will consider some of your limiting beliefs, and open your mind to the possibility of busting them.